Thursday, September 6, 2012

Journey to Chicago


After we returned from Florida we had a couple of days to get all of our stuff packed to move across the country. I was so excited to start such a crazy adventure. The reason we moved out to Chicago was Colin got a job with a consulting firm and he was scheduled to start at the end of May. The plan was to drive Colin's car out to Chicago. All we really had to pack were our clothes and wedding gifts. We had absolutely no furniture. We didn't even have computers because both of our laptops died a week before graduation. All of our stuff would not fit in his car though, so we ended up renting a U-box from U-haul. All we had to do was go to the nearest U-haul in Littleton and fill this storage unit with all our stuff. They then shipped it out to Chicago.

We had a few hiccups in our journey. The first one being that the car wouldn't start the day before we left. We tried to jump start it a few times but nothing was working. I was freaking out because I thought it had died for good (its a '95 Buick Skylar so this was a possibility). Colin then had the great idea to put a gallon of gas in the tank and see if it would start then (This was not obvious at first because the fuel gauge said we had a quarter of a tank left). We put in a gallon and it still did not start. For some reason Colin thought we should try another gallon, so we went back to the gas station and bought another gallon. It started!!!! The stupid thing was just out of gas. I made my mom swear not to tell my dad about the whole thing. I knew he would not let us leave if he found out. She didn't tell him and we left the next day!

We split the drive into two parts. The first day we drove 8 hours to Omaha, Nebraska. It was also Colin's 23rd birthday. I felt so bad because it had to be the worst birthday ever.  We ate at Applebee's to celebrate his life and then spent the night in an extremely ghetto motel.  





The next day we drove another 8 hours and finally got to Chicago!! We had no problems along the way. The drive was horribly ugly and boring, but I am glad we made it safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment